Thursday, January 24, 2013

God`s Word For The Wicked


Ezekiel 33:11 (NKJV):
11 Say to them: ‘As I live,’ says the Lord God, ‘I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn, turn from your evil ways! For why should you die, O house of Israel?’

2 Peter 3:9 (NKJV):
9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us,[b] not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

I know that reading the title many might think that there would be some harsh word of cursing or threat, but instead we see God`s heart towards humanity—His eternal love that He overflowed from the very beginning. He already knew even before He created Adam and Eve that we- humans, would fail Him, and we would need the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus Christ, yet He gave us a chance anyway (Revelation 13:8).
First of all, it`s important to note that God`s message is consistent both in the Old and in the New Testaments, and His word, as always, never contradict itself. The message that we see from the beginning of the world`s creation when God promised Noah never to destroy humanity and gave a sign of Rainbow as an assurance to all of us that He would never destroy us until the day of His judgment comes (Genesis 9:13-15).

God is never late. I just finished 21 days of fasting, and I haven`t gotten a breakthrough yet, so I started analyzing if praying for my family is what God really wants me to do; whether praying for my husband really should be that much of my time each day, and God showed me these scriptures today. These are truly remarkable verses because they outline the extent of God`s willingness to do what it takes to get even one more person saved. These words just gripped me because there is nothing better than getting direction from the Lord of what to pray for and how to pray for it. I prayed for direction, and He was faithful as always to guide me. Thank you, LORD!
We always start with the basics: knowing God`s will for particular situation (using scripture to confirm it), then praying on it until we see it come to pass. I had to analyze whether it is truly God`s will to get back together with my husband, and He showed me the sermons by Greg Laurie titled “Hope For The Hurting Marriages” where he outlined the concept of the marriage as a vivid example of God`s relationship with the church. Marriage is a prototype of how God loves and cares for His church (His bride as it described in the New Testament). When you break apart a marriage especially being a Christian, you become a lousy testimony of God`s attitude for His church. This concept is nothing new, but I looked at it from the different perspective when listening to these short series by Greg Laurie. God once again directed me on how to continue praying for reconciliation of my marriage on His foundation is His will.

By the way, here is the link to the message by Greg Laurie titled “Hope for the Hurting Marriages” (those are few short series):





God told Ezekiel to tell people that God`s heart is not to destroy them, but to save them. Can you truly grip this depth of God`s love towards us that while seeing His people live in a blunt idolatry, He continued to speak to them through the prophets and ask to turn from their wicked ways. His message is the same today: He delights to see even if one turns from one`s wicked sinful ways.
I don`t want to be a hindrance for Him to accomplish that with my family, with my unsaved relatives. That`s why He reminded me that it is His will to pray for those who are lost; it is His will to pray for the “wicked” and do what it takes to save them. Peter writes that God is longsuffering toward us because He is not willing that we may perish. This is God`s heart. If you don`t know God`s character, I urge you to read the scripture, and one of the main concepts that you will realize is that God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, so that those who believe would not perish, but they would have an everlasting life (John 3:16)!

Look at what He told Jeremiah when sending him to warn people of the upcoming judgment:
5Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying: 6 “O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter?” says the Lord. “Look, as the clay is in the potter’s hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Israel! 7 The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, 8 if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. 9 And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, 10 if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it. 11 “Now therefore, speak to the men of Judah and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, ‘Thus says the Lord: “Behold, I am fashioning a disaster and devising a plan against you. Return now everyone from his evil way, and make your ways and your doings good.” (Jeremiah 18:5-11 NKJV)

First of all, here is the concept of us being a clay in God`s hands, and Him being a Potter. He can make masterpiece out of the recycled clay. I worked in the clay studio when going to school, and I hated mixing recycled clay into the batches because the water was yucky dirty and the feeling of that submerged clay under water felt like there would be something nasty grabbing my hands. I just hated it. But then I would see students coming and buying recycled clay all the more because it was cheaper, and they would make these gorgeous structures out of it. I would also get to see how mercilessly they would demolish the piece and start from scratch when the base was corrupted.

This is the concept that God uses here in Jeremiah: He is the Potter and we are clay in His hands. He cannot elevate a masterpiece out of the corrupt base (base without the knowledge and obedience to His word), and this is why He allows demolition and destruction to “recycle” His clay (to give us another chance to rebuild our lives on the right foundation of His word). He states that when people repent and turn from their wicked ways, He is faithful to cancel the destruction, but when people refuse to hearken, He brings judgment.
Right now we live during the period of His grace when He allows all the time possible to get as many people saved as He can. Once this period of time is fulfilled, He will close that door and bring out His judgment on those who refused to listen and obey His word.

His will for today, for those who live a wicked life of disobedience and idolatry, is to get them saved. God`s heart is for the people and always will be. That`s why if you think that your situation is impossible for the marriage or for some close people who are not saved and you are not sure if you should continue praying for them; the answer  is YES. God`s will is for us to pray for those who are unsaved or backsliders, so they would TURN their ways and come to the Lord once and for all.
I am certainly in situation where I have been with my husband together for almost 10 years now, and I am yet to see the results of my prayers. I have to admit that I would have seen the breakthrough earlier if I was obedient to God`s word from the start and prayed for him, for our family, but I didn`t. I wasted many years living in indulgence instead of sticking by God`s word. This is why those lost years caught up with me now.

I live in the area where we haven`t gotten much snow this year, but today I woke up and I saw pure fresh snow piling on the top of the streets. God reminded me of the scripture in Job 38:22-23 (NKJV):
22 “Have you entered the treasury of snow, Or have you seen the treasury of hail,23 Which I have reserved for the time of trouble, For the day of battle and war?

This is a great consolation for me to know that He loves me so much that He showed me how much God continues to fight for me and for my family. The snow is only a tangible evidence of His constant presence in my life. Every time I feel hopeless, He upholds me and directs my path to His word of encouragement. Today it`s the snow that made me realize how much He fights for me. The good news is He already won, and it`s only a matter of time before I see it coming to pass.
That`s why I want to encourage you today that if you pray for your marriage, or for salvation of your loved ones, please don`t give up. Press on; keep praying to see the results. When we are hopeless, God is hopeful; when we are faithless, God remains faithful for He cannot deny Himself; when we stumble, He upholds us; when we fall, He brings us back. Our God is almighty and longsuffering Lord who does not wish for anyone to perish, but to have an everlasting life. This is worth fighting for, so let us not loose heart!

9 And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart (Galatians 6:9 NKJV).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment