Friday, September 2, 2011

Are You Willing To Be That "Mighty Man"?

2 Samuel 23:8-23 (NKJV)

8 These are the names of the mighty men whom David had: Josheb-Basshebeth[a] the Tachmonite, chief among the captains.[b] He was called Adino the Eznite, because he had killed eight hundred men at one time. 9 And after him was Eleazar the son of Dodo,[c] the Ahohite, one of the three mighty men with David when they defied the Philistines who were gathered there for battle, and the men of Israel had retreated. 10 He arose and attacked the Philistines until his hand was weary, and his hand stuck to the sword. The LORD brought about a great victory that day; and the people returned after him only to plunder. 11 And after him was Shammah the son of Agee the Hararite. The Philistines had gathered together into a troop where there was a piece of ground full of lentils. So the people fled from the Philistines. 12 But he stationed himself in the middle of the field, defended it, and killed the Philistines. So the LORD brought about a great victory. 13 Then three of the thirty chief men went down at harvest time and came to David at the cave of Adullam. And the troop of Philistines encamped in the Valley of Rephaim. 14 David was then in the stronghold, and the garrison of the Philistines was then in Bethlehem. 15 And David said with longing, “Oh, that someone would give me a drink of the water from the well of Bethlehem, which is by the gate!” 16 So the three mighty men broke through the camp of the Philistines, drew water from the well of Bethlehem that was by the gate, and took it and brought it to David. Nevertheless he would not drink it, but poured it out to the LORD. 17 And he said, “Far be it from me, O LORD, that I should do this! Is this not the blood of the men who went in jeopardy of their lives?” Therefore he would not drink it. These things were done by the three mighty men.  18 Now Abishai the brother of Joab, the son of Zeruiah, was chief of another three.[d] He lifted his spear against three hundred men, killed them, and won a name among these three. 19 Was he not the most honored of three? Therefore he became their captain. However, he did not attain to the first three. 20 Benaiah was the son of Jehoiada, the son of a valiant man from Kabzeel, who had done many deeds. He had killed two lion-like heroes of Moab. He also had gone down and killed a lion in the midst of a pit on a nowy day. 21 And he killed an Egyptian, a spectacular man. The Egyptian had a spear in his hand; so he went down to him with a staff, wrested the spear out of the Egyptian’s hand, and killed him with his own spear. 22 These things Benaiah the son of Jehoiada did, and won a name among three mighty men. 23 He was more honored than the thirty, but he did not attain to the first three. And David appointed him over his guard.  
There is a very important principal that`s shown here when we see these mighty brave men surrounding David throughout his surviving years and later on throughout his years as the king over Israel. The principal is this: God always provides defense for those who rely upon Him. David in all of his days walked close to the Lord, and he knew where his hope should have been. His heart was for the Lord, and so when Saul was persecuting David, and he was all alone, he had all these people who came to him, 400 of them, and they rooted for each other protecting each other. Those men were with David throughout many wars and persecutions, and David trusted them with all his life.
1 David therefore departed from there and escaped to the cave of Adullam. So when his brothers and all his father’s house heard it, they went down there to him. 2 And everyone who was in distress, everyone who was in debt, and everyone who was discontented gathered to him. So he became captain over them. And there were about four hundred men with him. (1 Samuel 22:1-2 NKJV)

The reason why it is so important to understand this principle is because it works, and it is a powerful tool during the hard periods in one`s life. The main resource that God`s got is humans, it`s us, and that`s what He uses when He needs to get something done, to get through to someone, to protect someone, or to reach someone.  There`s been miraculous stories recorded in the Bible where in case with Balaam his donkey started speaking to him to reiterate the will of God since there was nobody else around, or in case with Moses, where God revealed Himself through the burning bush, and we know of other stories. However, by most part, God uses humans, and when He needs to reach someone in this world, He sends someone.
When we look at the life of David, and how he walked with the Lord, and always seeked what was right in His eyes, we see a mighty Hand of God protecting him and sending him the right resources in the right moment.  David was persecuted by Saul, and he was hiding in the caves moving around to escape Saul`s searches for him. I am sure he was praying at that moment asking God for some help because Saul was a king, and he had army going around with him in searches for David. So we see that God provides David with this heavy flow of men who were just as desperate and had nothing left in their lives. It`s interesting how God calls to service only those who have nothing left for them; their lives are empty, and so they see God as this new hope and are willing to sacrifice whatever it takes to stand up for Him. When I come to God and ask Him to use my life as  that “vessel”, I know that I have nothing left in this life for me, and the only joy that there is by serving Him. Here I am, Lord, send me. So we see these “distressed” and those who were in debt, and discontented, they came to David.  
These men stuck with David through all the tough times, and some got killed, but than in 2 Samuel  23:8-23, we see the accounts of those special 37 warriors and how they stood out of the rest of the 400 or any other king`s soldier. They were trained and disciplined to be able to do all those things they did in the battle field. As Christians, we are in the constant battlefield, and we have to train ourselves and discipline ourselves to be those brave and mighty warriors to conquer the world for God. God is longpatient and longsuffering, so that none dies but He waits to see if we repent and come to Him. I want Him to conform me into His image and to discipline and to chastise me when I`m going astray, so I could stay on the right course and finish my race for Him.
16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. (Galatians 5:16-17 NKJV)

As Christians we live in a constant battle against our flesh, and it is through this constant discipline and spiritual  “military training”- reading the word of God, praying, seeking God, we can win this every day battle and to be used as a “brave man” to serve different “Davids” that we meet in our lives.
12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[c] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all
perseverance and supplication for all the saints (Ephesians 6:12-18 NKJV)
It is important to realize that our battle is not against the flesh and blood but against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[c] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places (17). We have to be equipped and to be strong in the Lord in order to fight this battle. It took me awhile to realize that I have to fight this battle in my life with the proper armor and to be in proper shape and not to concentrate on what I see in the physical world because that`s not what`s important. Our physical outcome is the product of the spiritual battle.
What Paul is saying is that in order to be a good athlete, a mighty warrior, a brave man, you have to be in shape. The only way to be in shape is through giving up your life to God completely, by studying His word in and out, and by having relationships with Him like never before. He is conforming us into His image, and that is a lifelong process.
I am in situation where only God can perform a miracle and change my circumstances to reach my husband and change his heart. I am desperate, and I battle every day crucifying my flesh not to say hurtful angry things to him when I see his selfishness, not to do something nasty to him, and it`s hard because it`s a natural reaction to prove right. That is no God`s way, and I am reminded of that every day. Every time I crucify my flesh and take the blow by turning my other cheek, I protect Jesus and take the blow for Him instead. When I look at circumstances and at my life as a whole, I realize that there is nothing left for me to fight over. That is satan`s lie, and he would love it if I believed him, and I did for some time. God`s plan is different though, He wants me to see the importance of each one`s life and the way it is precious to Him that He gave His own Son, Jesus Christ, so that each one of us could have eternal life and be able to serve Him.
God is not going to use those who are half way in and half way are still lingering at their carnal world surrounding us every day. He wants us completely. I gave up my life to Him over again three months ago, and I don`t regret it. I`ve seen His hand in my life in a mighty way: He healed me from two serious diagnoses, He provided for me financially when I had nothing, He gave me strength to battle for my family and for my life, and to forgive the unforgivable. I pray every day asking Him to fill my heart with love for those who wronged me, and I know that He is there for me. God binds up my wounds, and He heals my heart.
God always sends His mighty men into one`s life when it`s needed to support or to encourage. I am blown away how I randomly meet people to get me through the specific circumstances; people that I never met before, or heard off. He is God who provides in situation when there is no other possible way out. He is Jehovah Jireh (Genesis 22:14) because He provides for us a way when we don`t see a possible way out.
When I read this passage, and how brave these men were for their king David, how loyal and devoted they were, I realize that I have a way to go to become one of them. I have to train myself to be loyal to my family, even when they don`t deserve it, I have to be loyal to God, and I have to battle this spiritual war even when I don`t see the results as yet because I serve Almighty God who already WON for me all those battles.
Are you willing to become God`s warrior and to be one of those mighty men (one of 37 like in David`s case or one of the 400) that God would be able to prepare, train, and discipline to make that stand for Him to change lives of others. I want to be one of those special “vessels” that God could use for His glory because it`s what He created me for—to bring glory to Him!
If you want to serve God and to give your life to Him like never before, you can pray the following prayer with me:
Dear Lord, Almighty God, You are the Warrior, and You already won the main battle when Jesus died and rose again for my sins, so I could come to You at any moment and have fellowship with You. Please change me, use me, forgive me for all my selfishness, and show me how to abide in You forever. Please, Lord, make me into this "mighty man", so I could be used to serve “Davids” in my life to bring glory to You. In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment